Below you will find 2 discussions. Each discussion needs to be at least 3-4 paragraphs a piece. Apa format. To answe each discussion, follow the questions under Day 3. After you send me the discussions, I will post and send you my classmates replies. The replies should be 3-4 Paragraphs each and answer the questions under Day 5.
Discussion 1: Active Listening
Have you ever tried to have a conversation with someone who is distracted? Maybe they were watching a television show or looking at their phone as you attempted to convey important information. Perhaps you asked if they understood what you were saying, and they repeated the last few words you said but were obviously missing the point. At this point in the conversation, the most likely phrase to follow is, “Are you even listening to me?” In situations like this, it becomes clear how important listening is in facilitating a healthy conversation, but there are also more subtle ways in which we can improve our listening skills.
In this Discussion, you will reflect on the behaviors used by both good and poor listeners and use this analysis to identify key behaviors for effective listening.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Consider two specific individuals to refer to for this Discussion—one whom you consider to be a good listener and a second whom you consider to be a poor listener. Make sure to conceal their identity in your post.
By Day 3
Post an analysis of the specific behaviors each individual does or does not use when listening. In your analysis, do the following:
- Describe the nonverbal and verbal behaviors and actions of each individual as they listen to you.
- Describe how each individual checks (or fails to check) for understanding.
- Analyze how each individual’s listening skills have affected either the outcomes you are jointly trying to achieve, your relationship over time, or both.
- Analyze how your observations align with or extend ideas on active listening from this week’s Learning Resources.
Refer to the Week 5 Discussion 1 Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.
Read some of your colleagues’ postings.
By Day 5
Respond to two or more of your colleagues’ posts in one or more of the following ways:
- Compare the good and poor listening behaviors identified in your post to the behaviors your colleague described.
- Suggest one or more strategies that your colleague could have used to improve conversations with the poor listener they identified.
- Highlight at least one additional way in which your colleague’s analysis aligns with this week’s Learning Resources.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Discussion 2: Communicating With Empathy
When communication becomes difficult, we need to be additionally conscious of our listening skills to ensure we are listening with empathy. Oftentimes, people hear others’ problems and begin viewing those problems from their own personal lens. They might think about how they would solve the problem, or they might immediately respond with their “solution” for the other person. Although these responses may come from a sympathetic standpoint, they do not exhibit empathy and can be off‑putting, especially to someone who is expressing their feelings from a vulnerable place. In this Discussion, you will analyze the role of empathy in a conversation in which you were involved.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Think of a difficult or uncomfortable conversation you have had in which you felt discounted, misunderstood, or devalued, and think of another conversation in which you felt validated, heard, and appreciated. You will analyze these conversations for this week’s Discussion.
By Day 5
Post an analysis of the effects of empathy when communicating with others. In your analysis, do the following:
- Briefly outline the topic of each conversation and explain how the conversation made you feel. (Supply only information that you are comfortable sharing and that is pertinent to the analysis.)
- Describe specific behaviors (i.e., words, actions, body language) the other party used that demonstrated empathy or a lack of empathy.
- Describe the impact of these behaviors on both the outcome of the conversation and the ongoing relationship with the other party.
- Analyze at least two specific takeaways regarding communicating with empathy in difficult conversations, including how these takeaways align with the information and ideas from this week’s Learning Resources.
Refer to the Week 5 Discussion 2 Rubric for specific grading elements and criteria. Your Instructor will use this grading rubric to assess your work.