Get perfect grades by consistently using onlinetutors247.com writing services. Place your order and get a quality paper today. Take advantage of our current 20% discount by using the coupon code GET20
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper
What is it? –
A 1 page paper that demonstrates you have:
the structure (organization)
very brief information for the paper sections, and
the specific sources (references)
What is its purpose? –
• The outline is to show that you have started working on your paper.
• That you know what you will discuss (sections/subtopics) and where you can find this information (sources and complete references).
• It is important that you learn how to research and how to find relevant technical information for your paper.
• The topic you select must be listed on the Moodle site and first PowerPoint (introduction to the course). You will not receive credit if topic is from a previous semester and has specifically been removed from the term paper list.
• I must be able to locate your sources based on listed references. References must be properly formatted for the outline and final paper.
Below is an example of the basic structure and length for the outline.
You have to provide detailed information such as what is your topic, very briefly what will be discussed in each section, and specific references, properly formatted.
This is a technical report; provide relevant content, omit the use of “I” and “we”.
Start early. Don’t wait until the last minute.
Outline Sections (to include if appropriate)
Topic (title of term paper)
Abstract (go back and do this after paper is finished)
Acceptable Reference Format Example
 M. Kajiwara, S. Uemiya, T. Kojima and E. Kikuchi, Hydrogen permeation properties through composite membranes of platinum supported on porous alumina, Catal. Today 56 (2000), p. 65.
 J. H. Arps, B. Lanning and G. Dearnaley, Maximizing a Potentially Significant Energy Source: SwRI researchers develop ultra-thin metal membranes for hydrogen gas separation, Technology Today, Spring 2006.
 K. Hou and R. Hughes, “Preparation of thin and highly stable Pd/Ag composite membranes and simulative analysis of transfer resistance for hydrogen separation,” Journal of Membrane Science 214 (2003), p. 43.
 J.N. Keuler and L. Lorenzen, Developing a heating procedure to optimize hydrogen permeance through Pd–Ag membranes of thickness less than 2.2 μm, Journal of Membrane Science 195 (2002), p. 203.
 Y.S. Cheng and K.L. Yeung, Palladium–silver composite membranes by electroless plating technique, Journal of Membrane Science 158 (1999), p. 127.
The purpose is to become familiar with the behavior of materials in specific applications. The technical paper will build upon course material; its technical difficulty and content should be comparable to Callister/Rethwisch textbook.
Topics for the Technical Paper
1 Gallium nitride semiconductors
2 OLED Technology
3 3-D Printing high quality graphene
4 Improvements (or replacement materials for) Li rechargeable batteries
5 Graphene sensors
6 Wearable sensors, self-powered monitors integrated in clothing
7 Sapphire materials
8 Additive manufacturing
10 Carbon nitride in optics or electronics
11 Aluminum Foam
12 MEMS, NEMS
13 Ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE) thermoplastic in biocompatible applications.
Basic format and section headings
Abstract 1- short paragraph
Introduction (about the subject matter)
Comparison with other materials
Single spaced with 1-inch margins. 10-12 inch font.
8 page maximum; content is more important than length.
Include figures and tables. All figures and tables MUST have appropriate captions.
All references must be appropriately cited throughout the text and listed using ISO format at the end of the paper (see formatting examples for the outline).
Technical Paper Grading Criteria
- Format: abstract, introduction, material properties, comparisons, applications, processing, testing, conclusions.
- Do not include Table of Contents; not necessary for a paper that is 8 pages maximum.
- Avoid the use of quotes; Too many quotes, “copy/paste”, not student’s work.
- Appropriate Technical content; the paper is not an infomercial with superficial content. The paper is not significantly beyond the scope of the course and obviously not the student’s work.
- Organization of paper; coherent sections, integrated paper; avoid chunks of text with no section headings;
- Start early, so paper is not a rough draft done at the last minute.
- Quality of research – use multiple relevant sources.
- Figures and tables are included, relevant to topic, formatted properly (numbered and captioned).
- Figures are discussed in text.
- Good quality photos/images/tables are included and are not blurry.
- References – proper format, consistent format, and cited throughout text; 5 minimum, not including course textbook.
- Approved topic, submission of term paper.
- Quality of analysis or summary; student appears to understand what is being explained.
- Interesting or informative.
- Conscientious effort is apparent in final result.
- Focus of paper is on materials and engineering.
Do you need help with this or a different assignment? Get a 15% discount on your order using the following coupon code SAVE15
Order a Similar Paper Order a Different Paper